Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Youth Outreach



      In our daily lectures we have been learning about the Character of God, about His heart for justice, and about both the role of the church and the individual believer in response to God’s call for justice.  We have also finally been given our assignments for our weekly local outreach opportunities.  As I mentioned earlier, we do prayer walks in the largest cities nearby and we have also been divided into four different groups that are involved in various ministry opportunities in the area.  I, along with three others in my DTS, will be working with a youth program in Biel.  Every other Wednesday we will drive into Biel and work for a few hours with Swiss kids and teenagers whose parents work during the day, so the kids have nowhere to go after school.  Mostly the youth speak German and French but they have been learning English in school so we will be able to teach them some English and will also be able to teach them about our own cultures.  Out of the four of us who are involved in this ministry from my DTS there is myself, my roommate who is from Qatar, a guy from South Korea and Canada, and a girl from Germany.  So together we have a lot that we can teach these kids; about the love of God, about our cultures, and about our languages.  So I am really looking forward to being able to build relationships with these kids.
       Over all I am doing so well here in Wiler.  God has been so faithful to grant me a smooth transition into life here in this small village.  I have fallen in love with the cross cultural environment.  I love building relationships with the twenty-two other students in my DTS.  I love learning all about the different cultures, hearing the different languages, learning about the Swiss culture and language, learning about the local area in which I am stationed right now, but mostly I love the way that God has been revealing Himself to me in such a special way during this time.  I have found that no matter where I am, no matter how far away from home, my heart is at home in God.  I am with God’s people, so I am with family.  God has shown me that He has so much to teach me and I know that I am exactly where God has called me to be for the time being.  So thank you again so much for all of your prayer and support that has enabled me to follow God’s call.  He is doing a good work, thank you so much for being a part of it.
       I will continue to keep you updated, I am learning so much and tonight I just didn’t have the time to write down all that I have been learning.  Yet still I decided to at least tell you about my outreach opportunity with Swiss youth and to let you know that all is well. 

No comments: